Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Paradigm Shift

I walked in the door about 30 minutes ago, after having been at a meeting, to find utter chaos. The kids were still awake, the house was a mess, and my husband was asleep in the bed (which was understandable, seeing as he had a MONSTER headache). Anyway, on any other day this would have perturbed me to no end (did you see that, Melissa?? I used "perturbed"!). However, I was not at all upset. I don't know why, seeing as this would usually set me off in a rant about how nobody cares about our house but me, and why am I the only one to clean, yada yada yada. I just calmly asked the older kids to get the younger kids ready, and voila! Kids in bed in ten minutes.

I think the biggest thing is is that I don't really care about the house being messy. I usually hate having the living room messy at bed time, especially. I like to wake up to a clean house. Tonight? Meh. I now decree that I am going to take this opportunity to put on my jammies, curl up on the couch, and catch up on some TV shows I've missed, all whilst eating a tiny cup of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie.

The mess will still be there in the morning for me. Waiting. I think it just wants me to feel as though I'm needed and have purpose to my life. Yeah, my messes tend to be thoughtful like that.

1 comment:

MOM/SUSAN said...

First of all, may I just say how impressed I am at your restraint?
As I read your post I had instant memories of, oh so many evenings when I'd get home to just such messes and I don't remember EVER being calm about it. So, my hats off to you. How very healthy of you to do what you did and yes, messes are always with us.