Thursday, November 19, 2009

Houston

As of right now we have been in the Houston airport for the last seven hours and still have another three hours to go. Why, you ask? Because we were lucky enough to book a flight that had mechanical problems instead of no mechanical problems. It took off from Savannah an hour and a half later than scheduled, thus making us miss our connecting flight in Houston. So, instead of getting to California at 11:21am WST we are now going to get to California at 11:15pm, WST standard time. To put it in perspective, we have been up since 3am EST. We will probably walk through the door of Chris and Jill's house around midnight WST.

Do the math.

However, as hard as this has been, it hasn't been absolutely horrible. Due to Jarum's active duty military status, we did not have to pay for any checked luggage, thereby saving us a tidy sum of money for the whole trip. We have also been able to spend most of the time at a newly remodeled USO. I don't know what we would've done without the USO, that is for sure! The people who have been working here (for the both shifts we have been here) have been absolutely wonderful! They have been so kind, and so helpful with the kids. We almost even had a Bertar, I mean Guitar, Hero tournament! Jarum and I were also even able to get some staggared power naps. THANK YOU, USO!
I also have to give huge kudos to the kids. They have been wonderful, given the circumstances. They have been well-behaved and almost completely whine-free. Although, as of this writing, we have been going for quite some time without naps, so they are starting to lose it just a little bit. But it could be worse. I'm not complaining. THANK YOU FOR BEING AWESOME, KIDS!
Seriously, though, I can't wait to lie down and go to bed tonight. Really. I just want to sleep. That is all.
I just hope the airline doesn't lose our luggage. :p
(Jarum thinks I just jinxed us.)

2 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

By the time you read this I hope you have awakened from a well deserved and peaceful sleep. You are simply amazing--your stamina--your attitude. Lucky, lucky Boyer family to have you. Yea for the USO! It certainly had to beat being in the terminal on those awful seats for that many hours. Enjoy your visit with the Boyers!

Jill said...

Well, by the time you read this, I will totally have hugged you silly already! I am so glad to see you guys did great today. I was so worried about you being stuck in the airport terminal all day with the kids... you will be landing in 11 minutes. Hooray. See you soon!