Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer Vacation 2010

*warning* This is a vent post. If you don't want to read whining, I suggest you move on. Thank you.



You know, I think that I am a patient person. I usually allow things to just roll off of my back without fussing or stressing too much. However, I am just about ready to kick my kids to the curb (metaphorically, not in reality). I don't even really blame them for the torment they've been giving me lately. We live in a place where there is literally nothing to do. Not within a 45 mile radius, anyway. We also live in a place that is hotter than hades. Yes, it only gets into the low 90s, but couple that with humidity and it's over 105 outside. The summers in the south are like winters in the north - you just don't go outside until the season changes.

Anyway, we've done a lot of fun things this summer but it seems as if the past few weeks are crawling by because we've been inside so much. The kids are getting tired of one another. I'm getting tired of them. The constant whining and fighting, etc. are just starting to wear thin, you know?

I've tried all sorts of activities to alleviate the boredom. We've gone to the library. We've done art projects. We've learned how to do laundry. We've watched movies. We've played the Wii. We've gone to two different water parks. We've played board games. We've had birthdays. We've made things for Father's Day. I just don't know what else to do! I would so love it if there were a zoo nearby, or a museum, or a freakin' bookstore! I would love to have a craft/hobby store nearby to get ideas. I would love to just have a Target! I would also love to not be pregnant so that I could have more energy to help my kids stave off the summer "blahs". I'm also trying really, really hard to not let them just veg in front of the TV all day. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

For those of you who have never lived in a small, isolated town, you will never understand this. For those of you who have visited us here in Hinesville, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm not posting this to beg for sympathy, or even for ideas. I just needed to vent and say that I am now very ready to move away from here and live someplace where the main store is NOT a Wal-mart!

........

That is all.

6 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

Oh, poor Boyers. No, really. I feel your pain. I have often said that living in the South, anywhere in the South would be a trial for me, simply because of the obscene humid heat. And you, miss, have lived there practically your whole married life,so you deserve a medal or a air-conditioned padded room. You've been a trooper, honestly. Your kids have done the best they can, but of course you know that. Hang in there.
There are good times ahead for the Boyer clan!

Rachel said...

Don't you have a Goodwill? Seriously--that's all you really need. Give your kids a list of random stuff and tell them to find it. Then buy them each a 50 cent book and call it a day. You could do that like three days a week! :)

Hang in there! :)

Jules said...

I'm sorry to hear about all that. If you are open to suggestions though you could try brick games as seen here

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/03/7-games-you-can-play-with-brick.html

Or maybe not.

Chris said...

Thanks for the warning right at the beginning of the post! I feel like it saved me lots of time.

Naomi said...

Chris, I'm just considerate like that.

Mommastock said...

Nanomi, that's not whining...it's just life. Wish we could have been there to play with you all! Glad you let it out! Venting is so freeing! Seriously, I am a little worried we will be there another 6 years...without you! Pray for Ft. Carson, will ya?
Mimi misses Nomes...