Thursday, July 16, 2009

Birthday and Harry Potter. BLISS!

Yesterday, as a lot of you will already know, was my birthday. It was also the US release day of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. So, as you can see, a perfect storm of Naomi happiness!

Not only did I have a lot of well-wishes from so many of my family and friends (thanks so much, by the way!) I also had the pleasure of hosting a viewing party. Some friends came over and we had a whole bunch of good, HP-themed yummies, took a Sorting Hat quiz (I, of course, got Hufflepuff! Squee!), and then we all went to go and see the movie. It was the second time for me. I found I really enjoyed it after the second viewing. I think I'm too old to go to midnight releases anymore. :D

Anyway, below are a few pics from the party, mainly of the food. Enjoy!


To decorate for the party I decided to go with a potion theme, seeing as potions played such a huge part in this HP installment. I just went to Michael's and bought some bottles. Easy-peasy. It was figuring out what to put in the bottles that proved a little more difficult. Here's is what I came up with:



Felix Felicis (made with Gold metallic acrylic paint)

Pickled Doxy Eggs (capers)

Powdered Horn of Bicorn (sand)

Monkshood (dried basil)

Boomslang Skin
(this one I'm particularly proud of. It's made of tomato peel soaked in boiling water with green food coloring and tea. It turned out so well!)

Ground Mandrake (chili powder)


The spread


My friend Jasmine (aka Prof. Trelawney) baked this cake for me. Hufflepuff! Thanks so much, Jasmine!




I am so tired after all of the merry-making, but in such a good, happy way! Thanks again to everyone!

4 comments:

Cindy Howard said...

yay! I am so proud of you for posting about your party. Plus, I get to see it, since I couldn't be there. I am guessing you gave in and went Tuesday night.haha

Rachel said...

I wish I could have been there...but I still want better pictures of your cool HP food!

Also, now that you're a "Lost" fan, you'll have to start planning your "Lost" party. I'm thinking of having one myself. Let the creative juices flow!

MOM/SUSAN said...

Way to go Naomi! I've never ever known anyone to enjoy the prep for a party as much as you did with this one. I'm so glad it was a huge success and tons of fun. What are you going to do with all of those bottles?

Naomi said...

The bottles are now up in my kitchen window. Obviously I had to empty some of them of their contents, but the rest are still up and full. So now when I do the dishes, I get to look at my bottles. :D