Thursday, July 3, 2008

Yes, I am in fact still alive!

You know, life is funny sometimes.

We have moved from Utah and our now in our own digs in Georgia. We love the new house. It's larger than anything we have ever lived in before. It's really the first house we've ever lived in where we didn't feel completely smooshed. Well, we've lived in other places like that, but now that the kids are getting bigger, it's nice to have a place with less potential for smooshiness.

That's not the funny part.

Anyway, we left Utah a week ago last Monday and drove across the county. We spent the first two nights in Denver because we wanted to get a feel for our possible future permanent residence. However, I became quite ill the day we spent in Denver. Body aches, sore throat, you know the drill. Anyway, I've been sick ever since, and we're now going on two weeks! I no longer have body aches, but my throat is just a beast and I have itchy eyes and a drippy nose. NOT COOL!

Still not the funny part.

We closed on the house on Friday (yes, we drove out here on faith that we would close on the house) and had everything moved over here from storage that afternoon. (THANK YOU, dear friends who fed us, watched the kids, and helped us move that day!) We got the mattresses on the floor and the crib set up and called it a good day.

It's coming.

The weekend was spent unpacking. Mainly the kitchen and washing ALL OF OUR CLOTHES. I swear we used up a months worth of water in that first weekend. We then went to Savannah to make a Sam's Club run to refill our food stores. We are now poor, but have food. It's very nice to have food. I like food. *gives food a small hug* I'm still sick during all of this, but I can't just seem to stop. I know it's allergy related (thank you so much cottonwood and now dogwood) but we still keep pressing on. By Tuesday we have the wii/tv/dvd/vcr all hooked up for the kids to watch, even though they have been spending most of their time becoming reacquainted with their toys. I also got most of the clothes out of my room so that we could at least have some walking space. My closet is now beautiful. Thank you.

Really.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I spent all of the day, and I mean all of the day, in the kitchen organizing, putting stuff in our make-shift pantry, washing stuff. My kitchen is now practically beautiful. Thank you.

Are you ready?

So, I wake up this morning with the now customary sore throat. I'm tired. I've been working hard. I tell myself, "Nomes, you have just got to take it easy today. Seriously. You're never going to get better if you keep this up." I totally agreed with myself and decided to take it easy. I've earned it, right? I've made a ton of progress on the house. So what do I do? I notice that the kitchen needs a sweep. Okay, that's not a lot of work. I can do that and then rest. Then I think, well, if I've swept the kitchen, I might as well mop. Next thing I know I've swept and mopped the bathrooms as well and I am now dying to sweep and mop the rest of the house! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME! Isn't that funny? Not more of a funny ha-ha but more of a funny that's just interesting.

So, yeah. There you go.






More updates to follow, as soon as we get "real" internet. We are now on the "catching a stray wi-fi signal" plan. And once we have real internet, I will post pics. Really. I promise.... don't look at me like that Kimmy/Tara/Rachel! Really!

3 comments:

Tara said...

HAHA!!! I ALWAYS go Manic for the first two weeks after a move, it's just the way I am programed, and after 13 moves, it's just the way I function and make it look like we have lived in our house for years when we have only lived in one month. I sware, that helps the kids adjust when it feels like "their" home so quickly. Good job on that! You are truly a military spouse!

And since you gave such a detail update, I will forgive you for making all your faithful blog-readers wonder if you were alive. :) Plus you gave the promise of more to come, and you are ALWAYS good on your promises. :) I can't wait to see more of the kids, I want to know what Joshua thinks of the whole thing? How is he doing too? Keep it going woman, your house will be a home in no time, that's the military spouse way!

The Staker Family said...

Naomi, I was really starting to wonder about you, with the new baby I am breastfeeding a lot and have lots of time to blogstalk so I kept checking and checking
...it's good to finally hear from you, good luck with all that moving stuff, I think it is a good thing that I am not a military wife, I HATE moving!

Naomi said...

HAHA!!! I ALWAYS go Manic for the first two weeks after a move,

Yes. I was pretty nuts there for the first week, but now my body has rebelled and I have been forced to slow down and take it easy. Actually, it's probably a good thing that I've taken a break or else I would probably be flat on my back and yelling like a banshee at the kids! lol

I want to know what Joshua thinks of the whole thing?

Joshua is very unconcerned about the whole thing. I think he was just thrilled to get out of the car and thrilled not to be sleeping in a hotel room! He loves all of the space and pretty much spends his days walking around the house following the cat or else playing with all of the "new" toys the kids keep finding in various boxes.

good luck with all that moving stuff, I think it is a good thing that I am not a military wife, I HATE moving!

I HATE moving as well, military wife or not. We are nearing the end of our moving adventures *knocks on wood* and I am very much looking forward to just settling in one place. Thanks for the well wishes, though. :)